Tuesday 23 October 2012

Victoria's Typeface OUGD403

This was the badge i designed out fo my typeface for Victoria.

At the start of the project we were each given a sheet with a list of questions to ask our partner to get us going on the project. I decided that i was going to give my self a boundary of only using the information on my sheet to construct an alphabet for Victoria. Some of the aspects i considered looking into was invisibility, this was from the question what super power would you want? I felt this though didn't really portrait Victoria though as this was really one of the main focuses in the task.





here is some development work for Vicky's typeface

The aspects I chose off the sheet to start research were Pocahontas, I look into the native american  aspect of that and the parterrens that you see one some of the clothes and rugs. Victoria also chose Kate Moross as her favorite designer, so I looked at some of her work and how she uses geometric shapes in a lot of her design. 
These two different aspects tied in well together so then I started to draw out some the first letters on graph paper. This was initially how I wanted to present it but the graph paper had no real connection to it aside from being there to draw squares on. 

After I was happy with the initially draw out letters I traced them onto a sheet of A1 tracing paper in fineliner. I chose to loosely base the patterns around the letters by having my letter form underneath the graph paper and copying over that,  some letters are a lot more visibel recognisable than others, but when in an alphabet format its easy to see whats what.

After I had finished tracing the new letter forms in fineliner I scanned them into illustrator to play about with them and see how the worked with colour on them. As this was a 2 week project I didnt have that much tome to really play around with them and get the best out of them. I was happy with the way my alphabet turned out but I did was to try different was of presenting the final piece.
For example I would have liked to print straight from illustrator onto tracing paper to give it an even more cleaner feel, I also wanted to experiment more with using letters behind my alphabet, In the end this is how i presented it but was given some feedback in the crit which said that they might have looked better without the real letters behind them.



I felt the final group crit for the work was really useful. It was really interesting to see everyone else's work and how they had approached the problem. I though everyones looked really good and very individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment