Wednesday 21 November 2012

Message and delivery, Poster OUGD403

As my chosen news story was about the wrongly reported death of Fidel Castro I chose to focus on all the previous attempt to kill him by the C.I.A. I knew a bit about Castro to begin with, all the pretty basic information. When I started to look a bit further into his past it really got me interested.
Their was some really crazy plots to kill castro that I read about and I wanted to put this message across in my posters.





This is just some of my development work from my sketch book

I watched a documentart called 638 ways to kill Casto on BBC iplayer, this gave me really good insight and knowledge on everything to do with Fidel Castro during the time his life was most under threat. It really helped me in my research as well.
638 ways to kill Castro
I used several articles online to develop my research but as I decided my posters wernt going to be directly linked to the news story a lot of my research was done generally around Fidel Castro.
here are some of the articles and web sites I looked at.
The Guardian
The Independent
Article on assassination plots
This is all research directly relating to my posters.

The first poster Idea I started creating was the just image poster, I began by collecting lists of all the weapons and techniques used to attempt to kill Fidel Castro. Once I was happy with the list I started to sketch out the outlines of the different weapons I wanted to involve in the poster. From my research I found other interesting items that were used in attempt to kill Castro. The sea shells for example on the poster are there because Fidel Castro liked diving and the C.I.A. planned to pack a shell full of explosives and paint it bright colours, when he dived down to pick it up the shell was to explode underwater.  This obviously never happened, but it is another example of the amount of ingenuity that went into some of these plots.



My second poster, image with type was the only poster that it was completely necessary to include type at the bottom of the page just to give a brief explanation of what the stars meant. There are 638 of them and i did this just to show the sheer scale of assassination plots or attempts taken out on Castro. When a figure is seen as something more visual I think it helps to show the true scale of it. I also coloured the stars in according to the Cuban flag which I think helped tie it together with the relation to Castro.




For my final poster, just text, I had a good idea that it would need a quote relating to the research I had been doing to make sense with the other posters. I didn't want the tone to be too serious because it is almost a joke how Fidel Castro couldn't be killed. I eventually found a quote he said,
"If surviving assassination attempts was an olympic medal, then I would win the gold."
I felt this quote worked well with the other posters.
I chose to do the type in this way because I did some research on cuban typography and graffiti and a lot of the street art has this very simple angular look to it, often using bright colours. I quite like the way the type turned out I think it fits well with the other posters.




No comments:

Post a Comment