Wednesday 26 February 2014

OUGD 505 - Design production 2 - crit



We had a crit today that I needed to have to get an idea of how the direction of my project is going. I found it useful, and I gained some new ideas from it. 
I have chosen to go down the route of creating a collection of the past winter olympic posters. I feel this is a strong idea but I also feel it lacks ambition and it could turn out a bit boring. The idea was then suggested that I should try and recreate the olympic posters in a different style. 
From this I have done some research ono some artists suggested to me through the crit. One that I was told to look at was Mike Joyce, He has recreated a load of old punk albums in swiss modernism style. I particularly like this style and I like how he has interpreted it into something that couldn't be further from the punk movement. I feel the contrasting styles really work well together and its something that I wish to explore further though more research and some mock up posters. 

swissted - This is the website that explains quite plainly that Mike joyce drawing from his love of punk rock and swiss modernism, two movements that have (almost) nothing to do with one another, mike has redesigned vintage punk, hardcore, new wave, and indie rock show flyers into international typographic style posters.








These are just a couple of examples I have picked out I really like the simplicity behind the ideas. the layouts are very simple and work very well as does the use of opacity to create interesting shapes and colours.

I started to create some ideas based on the look of the original posters, I wanted to copy the main shapes and colours with simple representations. 



My thought process behind this was simple to use some basic representations, I didnt add any text which i think would tie the images together better. I feel as a whole they dont particularly work so I tried a different poster. 




I feel this image works better than the first one but I feel the visual representation doesn't need to be as obvious as I have made it. 



In this poster you can see the aspects I have tried to emulate, I do feel that its too obvious and could be cleverer in its exicution.

I started to look in more detail at the posters created by Mike Joyce, I can see with some of them quite a loose connection to the artists either in there name or song title. I decided for the next step in my development I wanted to use a similar way of working by choosing one aspect of the winter games poster. In most cases this came down to the countries flag or maybe a certain aspect of the original image.







The colours used on these represent the country to some extent or represent the colours used on the original poster, on some I feel they need more work and possibly some more text. I had a look at fonts for this side of the project, as I felt helvetica wouldn't cover it, I found some interesting swiss style fonts that I have played around with in a few of these examples. 


No comments:

Post a Comment