Tuesday 10 February 2015

OUGD 601 - Secret 7 - Underworld - Born Slippy

This is a track I have liked since I was younger and I was happy to see it featured in the secret 7 competition. The song comes from the 90's era of trance music so is something I am farmiliar with from listening to albums when I was younger. The most interesting part of the song is the background behind it, I am assuming this was one of the reasons on it was chosen to be part of secret 7.

The songs lyrics describes the struggle of alcohol addiction so although from first listening to it you wouldnt think this but when you look deeper it does have more of a meaning. The name born slippy was taken from a greyhound the pair from underworld won money on at some point. I feel the fast pace of the track really fits well with the idea of a greyhound, naturally this was my starting point. I have two lurchers at home so I wanted to initially use images of these in my work. I felt the image needed to portrait motion and speed as well as having a darker maybe second meaning to the image. Finding a suitable image is hard so i started to draw up some images of greyhounds, although im sure this is route that many people in the competition are going to take I felt I could bring something that maybe no one had thought of.

At first I thought of getting a photo of a grey hound running then I would manipulate the photo to fit with the image I kind of see when I listen to the song. I couldn't find a suitable image but im still looking because I feel there is a lot of scope with this one particular song.
I have then started to draw out some singular images of greyhounds running with the intention of displaying this on the front of the art work. From looking at this I felt the image only carried a singular meaning, something that I dont really think a track with multiple layers and meanings really reflects.





I started to look at moving images of dogs and I thought what is the best way of replicating this for an image. Drawing a series of pictures of the same dog with a slightly altered position I feel is the best way of showing this. In doing this I also realised that a series of 8 pictures also replicates the classic 4/4 beat that features in the song and in almost all dance music. With a double meaning I feel it should further add to the image.



For my final designs I felt I needed a back ground that wasnt just a block colour, I felt with what I had it looked to generic and clean. I wanted some pictures of inside a club that showed part of a crowd, the reasons behind this is because this is exactly where the song would have been and still is played. I feel a club atmosphere has the strongest tie back to this song. Looking on the internet you can find lots of pictures, but I specifically wanted some more grainy shots. Looking through my phone I have tonnes of videos which I started to take screen shots from because I felt this way I could best achieve the desired effect.







These were the best screen shots of the lot which I started to play around with and alter them by layering some on top of each other. After a lot of changing round the images I decided to go with something that didnt have much going on as it was just a background and I felt it could detract from the actual image.


This is just an example of the layered pictures, I wanted to show a club environment but i came to the conclusion that the best way to do this was subtly.




Here a three final example of the work, I quite like the images that are more scribbly because it isnt completely obvious what it is at first. The top image is my favourite because I have used the lines to replicate the sound waves you would see in a digital interpretation of music.  These are still working progresses but I have at least one design I am happy to hand in.

No comments:

Post a Comment