Wednesday 3 July 2013

OUGD 404 - What is a book - 10 Things research and development

Research for my 10 things you need to know about graphic design. Ive been looking at lots of different zines recently and I like how a lot of them are laid out, I want to take some ideas from these and use them in my own way. I want to keep the publication simple and too a minimalist style because I feel it will best work this way.



I like the way the letters have been stacked here to reflect the title. I will layout some typography in a similar way in my 10 things.



The red brackets on this page really add to the whole thing, if they wernt there then it would be a very standard spread, I might experiment with using something like this.







This was an advert I found in Creative Review, the use of type and image works really well together.

My book needs to contain some of the following -

colour theory 
typography and font rules
semiotics
pantone matching system
grids and layouts
sizing (points, picas and inches)
grids and layouts 
illustration
anatomy of a typeface
negative space 
type hierarchy

Im going to research each individual area by looking through my past blog posts and notes taken from the lessons, I want to include the individual things i feel relate mostly to my and this year of graphic design. Illustration will definitely be a feature of my 10 things book as a lot of my graphics is illustration based.

The layout of my book is very important as it is a book about graphic design so the book should reflect well on the subject, I have drawn up several thumbnails that represent some of the possible layout designs that I will use on some of the pages. 



I want to use a square format page for my book as i think it will be a bit more interesting that just a standard format, Ive chosen a page 23cm by 21cm so that I can fit a double page onto a sheet of A3 mainly to cut down on printing costs. 

Selecting a typeface is a very important part of creating a publication as its something that will remain a constant throughout the book. After trying out several type faces I found two that worked well together.

For the headers and sub header I chose to use a typeface I found on Dafont called Go Long 
For the body copy typeface I chose Futura because I feel its quite a simple font that complements the headers well when I tried it out on a mock layout.

My final 10 things document will include the following categories. 

Readability
Legibility
Colour theory 
Grids and layouts
Pantone colour matching 
Semiotics 
Typography 
Points and picas 
Illustration
Fonts

No comments:

Post a Comment