Monday 18 May 2015

OUGD 602 - Pirate childrens book, Research

My grandad used to tell me stories when I was a little kid, one of the stories he told was about a pirate called captain Jake. A couple years ago he started to write the stories down and asked me to do this illustrations for his book.
Choosing what sort of illustration style to do for a childrens story book is very important to the actual story. Pictures help visually describe a story as well as make it more engaging for a child to read. I have started to look at classic childrens books to  see how the illustration and layout work together.




I remember reading the Hungry caterpillar when I was younger The layout is very basic, the simplicity is key to this book. The illustrations are simple yet very nicely done so there is a strong theme running throughout this book.






Green eggs and ham was probably one of my favourite books when I was younger, its aother example of simple layout and design. The books was written and illustrated by Dr Suess, I really like his illustration style its simplicity is brilliant for telling the story. 






Where the wild things are is a book I never read when I was younger but I have seen the illustrations before, they are famous in they're own right. These books in terms of layout are all very simple something that for my layout I would like to experiment with a bit more.







This is another book I remember from when I was younger, this book was pretty crazy with its illustration and layout











These examples demonstrate more creative layout in the use of type and illustrations.

I also found some interesting articles on the internet that go into more detail about the basics of childrens book design and layout.

http://www.designofthepicturebook.com/
http://www.wordsandpics.org/2013/08/picture-book-basics-sketches-and-layout.html

No comments:

Post a Comment