Thursday 21 May 2015

OUGD 602 - Vikta lampshade brief - development

The development for this brief took months of work, at one point I was considering giving up because of the amount of time I spending on just getting the technique right for this brief









These are some of the development lampshades where I was trying to find out the most efficient method of creating the lampshade. I worked out the match behind the origami so I started to make a vector image which i would use to laser cut the paper. I tried laser cutting the paper, just to engrave it so it would be easier to fold. I had to trial this with lots of different paper stocks to find which one would work the best, I wasnt happy with most of the outcomes because the laser would singe the paper making it obvious where the folds were giving them a not very clean look. 

I knew the grid to create the lampshade so I decided to score the paper instead of laser cutting it which got around the singing of the paper. I found out that the stock could be quite thin because the origami gave the paper structure. In the end for my final version of the lampshade I chose a stock that was 120 gsm, the isue with choosing the paper was that it had to come in a large format to make a lamp shade that was big enough. the paper had to be 100cm by 50cm to make a small lampshade so it was hard to source the paper at a reasonable price.  

No comments:

Post a Comment